Tacos are one of the most versatile and flavourful dishes on the planet.
Although many people associate tacos with greasy fast food that should only be eaten on special occasions, this isn’t the case at all. By swapping out sodium-rich, pre-packaged ingredients with hearty proteins, natural spices, and fresh vegetables, you can enjoy healthy tacos every day of the week while fuelling your body with the nutrition it needs!
If you’re craving something south of the border – without all of the added preservatives and chemicals – we’ve got you covered.
Here are three easy-to-make, healthy taco recipe ideas that you can enjoy for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Breakfast - Protein Tacos
These healthy breakfast tacos are Alba Lisa’s favourite way to start the day. Quick and easy to make, this recipe is packed with flavour and fresh ingredients that will keep you fuelled all morning.
- 2 of AlbaLisa’s Organic Wheat Flour Tortillas
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of spinach
- 2 large avocados
- Cashew sour cream
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- In a medium bowl, mash together your avocados, salt, and lime juice. Stir in cayenne pepper and minced garlic, and then refrigerate for one hour. If you’re in a hurry, it’s recommended to make your guacamole the night before to absorb all of the amazing flavours.
- Whisk your eggs into a small bowl and add a touch of milk to enhance the creamy texture of the scrambled eggs.
- Coat a medium nonstick pan with butter and place over medium heat. Add your egg mixture to the pan and fold in one cup of spinach. Take the pan off the heat before the eggs are cooked all the way through to avoid overcooking.
- Cook the tortillas on a skillet at medium heat for about 20 seconds or until it bubbles. Flip it and let it cook until it bubbles and golden brown spots form.
- Another option is to cook them in your toaster just like you would with bread!
- Divide your egg mixture into two portions to fill each tortilla. Top with guacamole.
- If dairy is too heavy for you in the morning, skip the sour cream and opt for a vegan version instead. One brand that we love is the Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream.
Lunch - Vegetarian Black Bean Tacos
If you’re trying to cut down on your meat consumption, this plant-based recipe is the perfect option for your next Meatless Monday! The entire family will love this filling dish full of protein, fibre, and veggies – they won’t even realize how healthy it is!
- 8 of AlbaLisa’s White Corn Organic Tortillas
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of yellow corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of chopped black olives
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- AlbaLisa’s Fresh Jalapeño Cream Sauce
- 1 cup of guacamole
- In a nonstick skillet, add olive oil over medium heat and cook your garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add your beans, spices, and tomato paste and mix together until the beans are heated through. Set aside once finished
- In a separate pan, sauté your corn kernels in 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter for around 7 minutes. Mix in one tablespoon of salt and one tablespoon of black pepper and set aside.
- Take that same guacamole recipe from our Protein Breakfast Tacos and set aside.
- Place the tortillas on a hot skillet. Let the tortilla heat up for about 20 seconds and flip only once. Heat it up for another 20 seconds or until the tortilla looks and feel soft. Immediately transfer the tortillas into a tea towel or a piece of aluminum foil. Keep them covered until you are ready to serve.
- If you’re in a time crunch you can also microwave all 8 tortillas in a Ziploc bag for 1 minute.
- Once all of your ingredients are cooked through, add equal amounts of your black bean mixture and sautéed corn to each tortilla.
- Top with chopped olives and guacamole and serve.
Dinner - Protein-Packed Steak Tacos
These protein-packed steak tacos are both healthy and full of flavour! You may have seen variations of this recipe in many restaurants, but by choosing your ingredients wisely and preparing everything at home, you can still get that great restaurant taste without all of the preservatives and trans-fats.
Pico de Gallo Ingredients
- 1 medium jalapeño, chopped
- 1 cup of finely chopped white onion
- 4 large red tomatoes, chopped finely
- ½ cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- Combined the chopped onions, tomato, and jalapeños into a medium bowl
- Add your lime juice, salt, pepper, turmeric, and cilantro and mix all of the ingredient thoroughly
- Refrigerate your pico de gallo for at least one hour or overnight.
- Flank steak – considered one of the healthiest cuts of beef, flank steak offers more protein and fewer calories than T-bone or ribeye without skipping on the flavour!
- Olive oil
- Cayenne pepper
- Cumin powder
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Rub your uncooked steak with olive oil and rub in all of your spices and let chill in the fridge for one hour
- Cook your steak between 130°F - 140°F, depending on how well-done you would like it. Cover in tin foil and set aside.
- When your steak has cooled for 5-10 minutes, use a sharp knife to cut into strips.
- Take 6 of AlbaLisa’s Yellow Corn Organic Tortillas and cook the tortillas on a skillet at medium heat for about 20 seconds or until it bubbles. Flip it and let it cook until it bubbles and golden brown spots form.
- Another option is to cook them in your toaster just like you would with bread
- Divide your flank steak strips to fill each tortilla, then add one tablespoon of your pico de gallo mixture on each taco.
- Top with freshly squeezed lime juice and serve
No matter which recipe you try, choosing the right tortillas are key in making each dish a healthy option. AlbaLisa’s selection of Fresh Corn Organic Tortillas are gluten-free and made with certified organic corn flour. All of our tortillas are vacuum-packed in small amounts and can be stored in the refrigerator.
To get started on your healthy taco night adventure, you can find our tortillas in over 30 retail locations across Ontario, including:
Around My Gluten-Free Table
Mama Earth Organics